Autumn (fall) has just arrived in Melbourne, and with the changing of seasons comes a change in produce. I love the ‘seasonal crossover’. The tastes and textures of food go from cool, crisp and fresh, to a warmer, richer, more earthier tone (or the opposite for all my international friends).
Some of my favourite autumnal foods are root vegetables. I love their versatility and ‘never fail’ factor. Whether a trusty addition to soups, the perfect roast side dish, or a warming ingredient to an autumn salad.
Todays Roasted Beetroot and Carrot salad recipe is a delicious combination of earthy root vegetables, peppery rocket and creamy chèvre. It’s the perfect 'seasonal crossover’ dish... summer salad, meets autumnal warmth. Lovely!
What’s your favourite autumn / spring dish?
- 4 large beetroot, peeled & roughly chopped into 3cm pieces
- 1 bunch baby carrots, peeled
- 100g fresh rocket
- 100g goats chèvre
- ½ cup toasted hazelnuts, roughly chopped
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 3 tbs honey
- Sea salt
- 3 tbs olive oil
- 4 tbs red wine vinegar
- Sea salt
- Freshly cracked pepper
- Pre-heat oven to 200 degrees celcius.
- Place the beetroot pieces and baby carrots onto a paper lined baking tray, drizzle with olive oil, 1 tbs of honey and sprinkle with sea salt.
- Pop the tray into the oven and bake for about 1 hour.
- Once the beetroot and carrots are cooked (the carrots should be slightly golden in colour and the beetroot should be soft) remove them from the oven, drizzle with the remaining 2 tbs of honey and set aside to cool.
- Mix olive oil, red wine vinegar, sea salt and freshly cracked pepper and set aside.
- Arrange the rocket on a serving plate and place the beetroot and carrots on top.
- Crumble over the chèvre and sprinkle with hazelnuts and sea salt.
- Drizzle with dressing and serve!