Here's a delicious new winter salad recipe that is vibrant, bright, and full of flavour and texture: my Radicchio, Farro and Fennel Salad with Orange, Toasted Almonds and a Honey Mustard Tahini Dressing. One of my favourites during the cooler months.
The farro adds heartiness and body to the salad so you can really make a meal of it by enjoying it on its own or by adding your favourite protein.
I love the nutty flavour and chewy texture of farro, but if you don't have access to it you could also use barley or even brown rice instead. However, I highly recommend the farro if you can get your hands on it.
The honey mustard tahini dressing is smooth and creamy and the perfect sweet yet savoury accompaniment to this salad. Any remaining dressing can be refrigerated for up to a week.
Enjoy the salad and let me know if you make it @gatherandfeast or have any questions.
- 2 handfuls fresh rocket/arugula
- 1 small head radicchio, roughly chopped
- 1 small bulb fennel, thinly sliced (keep the fennel fronds (fluffy green parts) to sprinkle over the salad at the end)
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 2 oranges, skin removed and sliced into rounds or half moons
- 1 shallot, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup toasted almonds, flaked or slivered
- 1 cup cooked farro (cooked per packet instructions), cooled
Honey mustard tahini dressing
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons hulled tahini
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- Juice of 1/2 a lemon
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
Creamy green tahini dressing
- Add all of the dressing ingredients into a small jar, shake to combine then set aside. Alternatively, whisk the ingredients together in a small bowl until smooth.
- On a large serving plate arrange the rocket and radicchio.
- Thinly slice the fennel and squeeze over the juice of half a lemon to prevent browning.
- Arrange the fennel over the salad.
- Next, add half of the sliced orange.
- Spoon the cooked and cooled farro into pockets of the salad, gently lifting up parts and almost ‘tucking’ the farro into the salad.
- Add the remaining sliced orange.
- Sprinkle over the sliced shallot, toasted almonds, and fennel fronds.
- Drizzle over a few spoonfuls of the honey mustard dressing and serve.
NOTE: Serve the remaining dressing alongside the salad for anyone who would like to add extra to their dish. Any remaining dressing can be refrigerated for up to a week.
Click on the links below to print or save this recipe to your device.