This week's new recipe is a delicious savoury thyme, sage and parmesan French toast. And it might just be a new favourite, served with a fresh crisp green salad - the perfect lunch or lazy dinner. The thyme, sage, and parmesan make the perfect savoury team!
For this recipe, I teamed up with the guys from Westgold. Their rich and creamy butter works perfectly in this French toast recipe. I've been using their high-quality butter in my cooking and baking for the past few months and have been loving it. It's made with milk from grass-fed cows and using a traditional churning process. Be sure to look out for them when shopping at Woolworths in Australia.
As always, please let me know if you make the recipe @gatherandfeast and feel free to ask any questions.
- 2 slices of thick sourdough bread
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup full cream milk (I've used Westgold UHT milk)
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
- 1 tablespoon fresh sage leaves, finely chopped
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 1/4 cup fresh parmesan, finely grated
- Flakey sea salt
- Freshly cracked black pepper
- Westgold salted butter, to fry and serve (or butter of choice)
- Fresh green salad, to serve
- Whisk the egg and milk together in a wide shallow bowl.
- Add the fresh thyme and finely chopped sage leaves along with the lemon zest and finely grated parmesan.
- Now add a small pinch of sea salt and freshly cracked black pepper and whisk to combine.
- Coat and soak both sides of the bread in the mixture.
- Using a fork or spoon scoop up any remaining herb mixture and press it into the bread.
- Next, place a frying pan onto medium heat and add a knob of salted butter.
- Now add the coated bread slices to the frying pan and top with any remaining herb mixture.
- Grate over a small amount of parmesan and black pepper.
- After a few minutes flip and cook the bread on the other side and until both sides are cooked through and golden.
- Serve topped with a knob of salted butter, lemon zest, fresh thyme leaves, a sprinkling of sea salt, and freshly cracked black pepper. Enjoy!