If you love my Passionfruit Yoghurt Loaf recipe you're definitely going to love this delicious new orange and blueberry cake. It's sweet and moist, and the perfect 'dessert cake' served warm fresh from the oven with a dollop of thick cream.
For this recipe, I teamed up with the guys from Westgold. I've loved using their high-quality butter in my cooking and baking recently. It has a rich and creamy flavour and is made with milk from grass-fed cows, farmed on the West Coast of New Zealand’s, South Island. Be sure to look out for them when shopping at Woolworths in Australia.
I've used a 31cm long loaf pan but you could also use a 23cm/9inch round spring form cake tin.
As always, please let me know if you make the recipe @gatherandfeast, and feel free to ask any questions. Enjoy!
- 225g Westgold unsalted butter, softened (or butter of choice)
- 300g (1 1/2 cups) raw castor sugar or granulated sugar
- 4 eggs, separated
- Zest of 3 oranges
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract or vanilla bean paste
- 400g (2 1/2 cups) plain/all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon bi-carb soda (baking soda)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 250ml (1 cup) unsweetened Greek yogurt
- 250g (2 cups) frozen blueberries
- Juice of 3 oranges
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 100g (1/2 cup) raw castor sugar or granulated sugar
- Thick cream or crème fraîche to serve (optional)
- Preheat your oven to 180°C/350°F (fan forced oven).
- Cream the butter and the sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add the egg yolks, the orange and lemon zest, vanilla, and beat until combined.
- Next add the flour, baking powder, bi-carb soda, salt, the yoghurt, and mix until barely combined.
- Whip the egg whites until stiff peaks form and then gently fold into the batter.
- Add the frozen blueberries and gently and barely fold in to combine (over-stirring here will cause the batter to turn green).
- Scoop the batter into a pre-lined 31cm long loaf pan (or a 23cm/9inch round spring form cake tin) and bake at 180°C/350°F for 1 hour and 15 minutes.
- While the cake is baking combine the orange juice, lemon juice, and sugar in a small saucepan and stir over medium heat until the sugar is dissolved.
- Simmer over low heat for a further 15 minutes.
- Once the cake is cooked remove it from the oven and pour the hot syrup over the cake while it’s still hot in the pan.
- Allow to sit for 30-60 minutes to soak up the syrup before turning the cake from the pan and onto a serving plate.
- Serve warm with a dollop of thick cream.