Who doesn't love the sound of smokey tomato baked eggs!? This is by far my favourite baked eggs recipe and it's also the simplest. You're going to love it! It's also a crowd-pleaser and my go-to when hosting brunch/lunch gatherings.
The addition of the smokey paprika really makes the flavour of these baked eggs pop. If you don't have any I highly recommend purchasing some and keeping it in your pantry. It's one of my most used spices, so good!
I'll be cooking this recipe LIVE on Instagram and I'd love to have you join me + cook along! Saturday, May 16 2020 - 11 AM AEST. I'll also post the live video here after the stream.
I hope you enjoy and please let me know if you have any questions.
- Extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small clove garlic, finely grated or crushed
- 1 tsp smokey paprika
- 1 x 400g tin crushed or diced tomatoes (salt & sugar-free)
- 1 bunch fresh basil leaves (roughly 1 large handful)
- 8 free-range eggs
- 50g parmesan, shaved
- Salt to taste
- Freshly cracked black pepper
- Preheat your oven to 180C / 350F (fan forced).
- Place a small saucepan on medium heat and add about a tablespoon of olive oil.
- Add the garlic and smokey paprika and sauté for a minute or two.
- Add the tomatoes and simmer for about five minutes.
- Add ¾ of the basil leaves and stir until the basil has wilted.
- Divide the tomato mixture into four large ramekins or small baking dishes.
- Crack two eggs into each ramekin.
- Top with fresh basil leaves, freshly shaved parmesan, salt and black pepper.
- Bake at 180C / 350F for 20 minutes for runny eggs, or 30 minutes for firm eggs.
- Once removed from the oven top with a fresh basil leaf or two and a drizzle of olive oil.
- Serve with toasted crusty bread.