Today’s recipe is super easy, great for snacking, and is the perfect healthy alternative to processed spreads… my Spiced Almond Butter with Sea Salt and Honey!
This spread is delicious on toast or fruit (like sliced apple or pear), or even on it’s own straight from the jar. It’s so good I often eat it by the spoonful (I may just be doing this right now). ☺
My first attempt at this recipe was an absolute fail, but an important lesson was learnt. Whatever you do, DO NOT add the honey to the food processor while blending the almonds! At high speed the honey combines with the oils from the almonds, and creates a firm crumbly mix… delicious, but not ideal for spreading. Instead, gently stir the honey through at the end, creating a lovely sweet swirl through the almond butter.
- 2 cups roasted almonds
- 1½ tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp sea salt (fleur de sel)
- 2 tbs honey
- Place the 2 cups of almonds in a food processor and blend until smooth. This will take about 7 minutes.
- Add the sea salt and cinnamon and blend for a further 30 seconds to combine.
- Remove the almond butter from the food processor and place into a jar for storing.
- Drizzle the honey on top of the almond butter and slightly mix the honey through so the swirls of honey remain.
*Don’t be tempted to add the honey to the food processor while blending! I tested it this way and at high speed the honey combines with the oils from the almonds and creates a firm crumbly mix... delicious, but not easy to spread. Instead stir the honey through at the end. I did however use the failed almond butter crumbs on top of yoghurt and poached fruit the next day and they were delicious.