Here's a fresh and flavour-packed new salad recipe: my Chopped Veg and Warm Garlic-Spiced Chickpea Salad with Creamy Green Tahini Dressing. It’s vibrant, crunchy, and light, and also filling and full of healthy fats and flavour. This salad is super versatile and can be enjoyed for almost any occasion, as well as a perfect side dish for any dinner party or barbecue.
The salad features warm chickpeas sautéed in olive oil, crushed fennel and coriander seeds, and freshly grated garlic, adding a delicious texture to the dish. If you don't have access to the fennel and coriander seeds, simply use a teaspoon each of already ground fennel and coriander seeds.
The creamy green tahini dressing is the perfect complement to this salad, with its rich and creamy flavour. It's so versatile that it can be added to various dishes, from grain bowls to eggs, to avocado toast, and can be stored in a jar or airtight container in the fridge for up to a week.
Hope you love the recipe, and as always please let me know if you make it @gatherandfeast, and feel free to ask any questions.
Creamy green tahini dressing
- A large handful of fresh flat-leaf parsley
- A large handful of fresh coriander/cilantro
- 1 large garlic clove
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/3 cup white wine vinegar
- 1/3 cup hulled tahini
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup or honey
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 Lebanese/Persian cucumbers, roughly chopped
- 1 small red capsicum, roughly chopped
- 2 handfuls cherry tomatoes, sliced in half
- 1 shallot, thinly sliced
- A handful of fresh flat-leaf parsley, roughly chopped
- A handful of fresh coriander/cilantro, roughly chopped
- Extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 lemon
- 1/2 tablespoon fennel seeds, freshly ground
- 1/2 tablespoon coriander seeds, freshly ground
- 1 clove fresh garlic, freshly grated or crushed
- Sea salt
- 1 x 400g can chick peas, drained and rinsed
Creamy green tahini dressing
- Place all of the dressing ingredients into a blender and blend until super smooth.
- Pour into a jar or airtight container and set aside until ready to use.
NOTE: Any leftover dressing can be stored in the fridge for up to a week. Perfect with eggs, on avocado toast, on salad.
- Add the roughly chopped cucumbers, capsicum, and tomatoes to a large serving bowl.
- Now add the finely sliced shallot, and the roughly chopped parsley and coriander, then set aside.
- In a medium-sized saucepan add a generous drizzle of olive oil and the freshly ground fennel and coriander seeds (if you don't have access to whole seeds simply use a teaspoon each of already ground fennel and coriander seeds).
- Add the rinsed and drained chickpeas, a pinch of salt, freshly ground black pepper, and the freshly grated garlic.
- Sauté over medium heat until fragrant and the chickpeas are warmed through and slightly golden. This should take a couple of minutes.
- Remove from the heat and set aside to cool slightly.
- Next squeeze the juice of half a lemon over the chopped salad and over the warm chickpeas.
- Add 3/4 of the chickpeas to the salad and toss to combine.
- Now generously dollop spoonfuls of the creamy tahini dressing over the salad.
- Then scatter the remaining chickpeas over the top.
- Top with freshly cracked black pepper and a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil and serve.