This week's new recipe is a delicious coconut and ginger steamed chicken with herb and noodle salad. You definitely have to try this one! It's super fresh and zesty, and jam-packed full of flavour.
I was actually invited by the team at Carter Grange Homes to cook this recipe (+ others) in their beautiful Brighton East Show Home here in Melbourne using my favourite Miele appliances.
To cook the chicken I used their Miele steam oven along with some beautiful aromatics like garlic, ginger, and kaffir lime. If you don’t have a steam oven simply bake the chicken in a regular oven covered with a lid or foil.
Enjoy this light and fresh salad and please let me know if you have any questions.
Coconut & Ginger Steamed Chicken
- 270ml coconut cream
- 10cm piece fresh ginger, thinly sliced
- 3 x large kaffir lime leaves, finely shredded 3 garlic cloves, roughly sliced
- 2 chicken breast fillets, roughly 500g in total Pinch of sea salt
- 200g rice stick noodles
- 2 Lebanese cucumbers, finely sliced on the diagonal
- 1 large bunch coriander, roughly 1 cup leaves (keep the stalks for the dressing) 1 large bunch fresh Thai basil, roughly 1 cup leaves
- 1 large bunch fresh Vietnamese mint, roughly 3⁄4 cup leaves
- Zest and juice of 1 lime
- 1⁄2 cup toasted coconut flakes
- 1⁄3 cup roasted peanuts, roughly chopped
- Coriander stalks, roughly 1 cup, very finely chopped 1 small green chili, finely chopped (add to your taste) 1 clove garlic, freshly grated or crushed
- 3 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoon fish sauce
- 3 tablespoon pure maple syrup
- Line a solid steam tray with baking paper and add the 270ml coconut cream, freshly sliced ginger, finely shredded kaffir lime leaves, and the roughly sliced garlic cloves.
- Arrange the chicken over the top and sprinkle with a pinch of salt.
- Steam at 85°C/185°F for 35 minutes OR bake at 180°C/350°F in a regular oven for 35 minutes.
- Remove the chicken from the oven and set aside to rest.
- Combine the dressing ingredients in a small jar, shake to combine, then set aside. Alternatively, you can blend the dressing ingredients to create a smoother dressing.
- Cook and drain the noodles as per packet instructions then set aside in a large serving bowl.
- In a large bowl combine the sliced cucumber, coriander leaves, Thai basil leaves, Vietnamese mint leaves, and the zest and juice of 1 lime.
- Add roughly 2⁄3 of the coconut and peanuts then toss to combine.
- Remove the chicken from the tray and strain the coconut sauce into a jug.
- Pour roughly 1⁄2 cup of the coconut sauce over the noodles then toss to combine.
- Arrange the noodles then add the salad.
- Finely slice the chicken and add to the salad.
- Sprinkle with the remaining coconut and peanuts then drizzle with the dressing.