This week’s new recipe is a delicious lemon and pistachio cake. It makes the perfect afternoon tea cake or dessert. It’s light, zingy, and creamy, and looks beautiful too. It has almost a cloud-like texture that just disappears in your mouth.
I’ve topped the cake with a creamy cream cheese frosting and lots of texture with roasted pistachios and lemon zest.
To speed up the cooling process you can pop the cake into the freezer for an hour or two before icing.
Hope you enjoy this one and please let me know if you make it @gatherandfeast.
- 1 cup (250ml/225g) extra virgin olive oil
- 1 1/4 (225g) cups raw castor sugar or castor sugar
- 1 tbs (10g) vanilla paste or extract
- Zest of 2 lemons
- 3 eggs
- 2 cups (270g) plain/all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup (60g) almond meal
- 1 teaspoon of baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon bi-carb soda
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 cup (225g) thick natural Greek yoghurt
- Juice of 2 lemons (1/2 cup juice)
- 1/3 cup (60g) shelled & roasted pistachios, very finely chopped
- 500g cream cheese
- 1/2 cup icing sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla bean paste
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 2-3 tablespoons roasted shelled pistachios, finely chopped
- Preheat your oven to 180°C/350°F (fan-forced).
- In a large mixing bowl combine the olive oil, sugar, lemon zest, and vanilla, and whisk well until combined.
- Add the eggs and whisk until combined and smooth.
- Fold in the flour, almond meal, pistachios, baking powder, bi-carb soda, and sea salt.
- Gently stir through the yoghurt and lemon juice until smooth.
- Pour the mixture into a pre-lined 23cm/9inch round cake tin.
- Bake for 45 minutes, until a skewer comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and set aside to cool completely.
- NOTE: you can pop the cake into the freezer for an hour or two to speed up the cooling process before icing.
- Beat the cream cheese and vanilla until smooth.
- Add the icing sugar and lemon juice and beat until super smooth.
- Set aside until ready to use.
- Place the completely cooled cake onto a serving plate.
- Top with the frosting and smooth it out to the edges of the cake with the back of a spoon.
- Now create large swooshes on the top of the frosting using the back of the spoon.
- Top the cake with lemon zest and finely chopped pistachios.