This week's new recipe is this delicious Nectarine & Roasted Walnut Salad. It's fresh and light, full of flavour and texture, and super easy to throw together. The perfect salad for entertaining this holiday season.
I love to use goats cheese in this salad but feel free to use a feta or fresh soft mozzarella if you prefer. You can also easily make the salad vegan by using a vegan cheese substitute. Peaches or fresh mango would also make a delicious substitute for the nectarine, and if summer fruits aren't in season where you are you could also use apples, pears, or figs instead.
I like to toast up a batch of the walnuts and store them in a jar in the fridge, ready for a salad like this. The salad then becomes even quicker to throw together on the day. The walnuts will store in an airtight jar in the fridge for a few weeks.
I personally don't pre-mix a dressing. I simply drizzle with a little extra virgin olive oil, some thick balsamic, and a sprinkle of pepper right before serving. It's easy and looks pretty in contrast with the other colours and textures in the salad.
Hope you all enjoy! x
- ¾ cup walnuts
- 4 large handfuls of mixed lettuce leaves
- 1 small bunch fresh basil leaves
- 1 small bunch fresh mint leaves
- 1 small bunch fresh chives, roughly chopped
- 6 fresh nectarines, pitted & sliced into eighths
- 120g goats cheese - you could also use feta cheese or fresh mozzarella Aleppo pepper flakes or chili flakes
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Balsamic vinegar
- Sea salt
- Freshly cracked black pepper
- Place a fry pan onto medium heat, add the walnuts, a little drizzle of olive oil, a sprinkle of sea salt, and toast until golden, stirring regularly so they don't burn.
- Remove the walnuts from the heat and set aside to cool.
- In a large serving bowl, add the lettuce leaves, basil, mint, and chives, then toss to combine. NOTE: Keep aside some small basil and mint leaves to garnish the top of the salad.
- Arrange the nectarines on top and crumble the goats cheese.
- Sprinkle over half of the toasted walnuts.
- Roughly chop the remaining walnuts and sprinkle over the top along with the small basil and mint leaves.
- Just before serving drizzle with extra virgin olive oil and balsamic vinegar.
- Sprinkle with Aleppo pepper or chili flakes and some freshly cracked pepper.
- Serve immediately and enjoy!