This week's new recipe is a fresh and flavour-packed cherry tomato and fresh corn spaghetti with basil and lemon.
The sweetness from the tomatoes and corn, matched with the smokey spice of the Aleppo pepper, the zingy lemon, and the herbaceous basil taste so delicious!
If you can’t get your hands on Aleppo pepper (a milder almost fruity/smokey chili) simply use a pinch of chili flakes to your taste.
To make this pasta vegan simply leave out the parmesan. To make it gluten-free use a gluten-free spaghetti.
I hope you love this one. Let me know if you make it @gatherandfeast and feel free to ask me any questions.
- Extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon Aleppo pepper flakes or a generous pinch of chili flakes
- 2 small shallots, peeled and finely sliced
- 3 cloves fresh garlic, peeled and finely sliced
- 2 punnets (500g) cherry tomatoes
- 2 fresh corn, husks removed and kernels sliced off
- 1 large handful of fresh basil leaves
- Zest of 1 large lemon
- Freshly grated parmesan
- 250g spaghetti
- Sea salt
- Freshly cracked black pepper
- Place a large pot of water on to boil.
- Place a large frypan onto medium heat, add a generous drizzle of olive oil, the Aleppo pepper flakes, sliced shallots, and a generous pinch of sea salt.
- Stir on medium heat until the shallots begin to soften.
- Add the cherry tomatoes and stir to coat the tomatoes in the olive oil shallot mixture.
- Sauté on medium heat, stirring occasionally, until the tomatoes are soft (about 4-5 minutes).
- While the tomatoes are cooking, salt the pasta water and cook the spaghetti as per packet instructions, cooking 1 minute under the recommended time.
- To the sautéing tomatoes, add the garlic and corn, and stir to combine.
- Simmer for a few minutes until the corn is soft.
- Turn off the heat, add the fresh basil leaves, lemon zest, some freshly cracked black pepper, and a generous grating of fresh parmesan, then stir to combine.
- Once the spaghetti is cooked add it directly to the sauce.
- Turn the pan back onto medium heat and cook the spaghetti in the sauce for about a minute.
- Add extra pasta water from the pot as needed to create a smooth silky sauce.
- Taste for salt and add as needed.
- Serve the spaghetti topped with a grating of fresh parmesan, lemon zest, a drizzle of olive oil, and some freshly cracked black pepper.
*To make vegan simply leave out the parmesan. To make GF use a gluten-free spaghetti.