This week's new recipe are these delicious salty crispy sage roasted potatoes. Full of flavour and texture, and the perfect potato side accompanying a roast or barbecue.
I like to steam my potatoes the day before and then pop them in the fridge overnight until I am ready to bake them. This saves time, and also ensures a delicious crispy exterior to the potatoes as the cold temperature overnight in the fridge cools the starch in the potatoes which greatly helps the crisping process. In saying that you don't have to steam the potatoes ahead of time. If you prefer you can bake them immediately after they have been steamed, especially if you're short on time.
I've used a stovetop steamer to precook my potatoes but feel free to use a steam oven or boil the potatoes.
Hope you enjoy this easy and super delicious side dish. Let me know if you make it @gatheandfeast and feel free to ask any questions.
- 6 large nicola or dutch cream potatoes
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Flakey sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Large bunch fresh sage leaves
- Preheat oven to 200°C/390°F (fan forced oven).
- Wash and cut the potatoes into quarters or if the potatoes are quite large cut into sixths.
- Steam the potato pieces for about 30 minutes and until a fork can easily pierce through them.
- Allow the steamed potatoes to cool. This is a great step to do ahead of time. You can leave the steamed potatoes in the fridge the night before you need them.
- Place the cooled potatoes onto a large paper-lined baking tray, drizzle with olive oil, sprinkle with flakey sea salt, and lots of freshly cracked black pepper.
- Using your hands, toss to combine and spread the coated potatoes evenly on the tray ensuring the potatoes are evenly spaced.
- Using your hands, squash the potato slices to ensure they are rough and ragged around the edges - the more ragged the crispier they will be.
- Bake at 200°C/390°F for 30 minutes.
- While the potatoes are baking let's prepare the sage leaves.
- In a small bowl toss the sage leaves in 1-2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil and a pinch of flakey sea salt until the leaves are coated.
- Remove the potatoes from the oven and sprinkle the sage leaves over the potatoes.
- Turn the oven down to 180°C/350°F and pop the potatoes back into the oven for a further 10 minutes.
- Keep an eye on the sage leaves as they can burn easily, adjust if necessary.
- Remove the potatoes from the oven and serve sprinkled with more flakey sea salt.